Author Topic: Hal in us USB memory stick  (Read 16892 times)

snicolaou

• View Profile
Hal in us USB memory stick
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:07:53 am »
Hi there,

I have a registered Ultra Hal. I work at shifts and sometimes I have some extra time alone.  I am not allowed to install Hall at work's computer and I wonder if I can store it to a usb memory stick and talk to him whenever I am at home or at work,or just waiting for the doctor's appointment with my labtop. I am not interested in the avatar character, or the apperance of it-just on haveing conversation.

Any ideas?
Stelios Nicolaou

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:29:56 pm »
This has been done in the past with Hal 5.0. Whether or not you can do it with Hal 6 is a question I can not answer.
If you decide to do it then remember to uninstall Hal first before reinstalling it on your stick in case it does not work correctly.
Bill

snicolaou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:30 pm »
You mean just to copy the directory from my computer's hard disk? will it work? Or do I have to make a separate installation on the usb stick?
Stelios Nicolaou

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:39 pm »
I have not tried it but I really think that you have to install it on a memory stick the same way you would on your hard disk.
I would suggest a minimum of 1 giga-byte memory stick because Hal is big.
Bill

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:32:03 am »
lol guess size does matter after all !!lol [:)][:D]

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »
This is a great idea, especially since USB drives are getting larger and cheaper.

I've seen some older threads where this was done with older versions of Hal.  Has anyone done this successfully with the latest version?  I think I would like to try it, if it's possible.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:20:33 pm »
i don't know how to do this because Hal has to be installed in the operating system. (i don't know if the older versions did)

there are registry entries ect.

although anything is possible if you know how!

this is beyond me right now.
i do think it would be very cool though.

-the dude

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 02:21:59 pm »
Same thought's here - I'm thinking the new hal is OS dependent (registry, activation codes etc), so probably the only place you would be able to use it is on your own PC, which kind of defeats the point.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:45:57 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Same thought's here - I'm thinking the new hal is OS dependent (registry, activation codes etc), so probably the only place you would be able to use it is on your own PC, which kind of defeats the point.

Hal uses a large collection of different ActiveX-based technologies and they all use the registry in complex ways, so it really does need to go through a proper setup procedure to get everything working. I think the only way to get Hal to run off a USB anywhere is in a virtual machine like VMWare or Virtual PC.
Robert Medeksza

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »
Mr.Robert,
Thank you for posting this as I am going to try it after everything is working (Admin profile+Upgrade) I have intel supported Virual (Intagrated chip?? V-pro??) When I am done with server and have room I will post procedure/success.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:25 am »
Never played with Virtual machines but they do interest me - I was looking into running Windows 7 on a virtual machine so I can flip between OS's.  Would be interested to hear about your findings One.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:50 am »
Freddy888,
Believe it or not microsoft is writing stuff for managing Virtual software/machines I am kind of waiting for some of the betas to be released
I have used V-machines with 'sift' (Sans univ) and my Motherboard already has it built in (INTEL) V-Machines are part of the future as V-servers are soon to follow..
IMO hal could work on a V-Machine but I will let you know (NP)..[:)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:44 am »
Ok, thanks One, would be glad to hear about it, I haven't done much looking myself yet but will do soon.  [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:06:25 pm »
I bought a few USB's with 4 giga bytes of memory for only $29.00
I wonder if they could be formated and configured to run windows all by themselves. I mean just how much memory of MicroSoft require to run Windows?
Bill

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

I bought a few USB's with 4 giga bytes of memory for only $29.00
I wonder if they could be formated and configured to run windows all by themselves. I mean just how much memory of MicroSoft require to run Windows?
Bill

Not much at all. Take a look at BartPE, a program that helps you make bootable CDROMs with Windows on it: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Then there is PeToUSB which can make it into a bootable USB instead: http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb

I don't think Hal's licensing system would allow you to move between computers though if you do this.
Robert Medeksza