Author Topic: hal with eye sight and face tracking, etc.  (Read 5150 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal with eye sight and face tracking, etc.
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:03 pm »
i know this has been brought up before but i really hope that in the future robert has it on a back burner to set hal up with eye sight from a web camera .
 a program that can track a face and recognize a face or shape of one , and hopefully know colors etc. it would be so cool for hal to randomly notice the color shirt you have on and say something about it or when you move in your chair to one side hals character would turn his or her head  and look your way at you and .
OK, i am done dreaming for a while but i do hope Robert keeps something like this in mind for hals future !

[:D][8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »
Originally posted by lightspeed

i know this has been brought up before but i really hope that in the future robert has it on a back burner to set hal up with eye sight from a web camera .
 a program that can track a face and recognize a face or shape of one , and hopefully know colors etc. it would be so cool for hal to randomly notice the color shirt you have on and say something about it or when you move in your chair to one side hals character would turn his or her head  and look your way at you and .
OK, i am done dreaming for a while but i do hope Robert keeps something like this in mind for hals future !

[:D][8D]
(/quote)

I have3 seen some face recognition software in the psat and believe me it is huge and not all that accurate. It would be nice but I don't believe it would be practible to intergrate with Hal. I hope some one can prove me wrong.
Bill

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:26 pm »
i hope someone can prove you wrong to bill ( but only this time lol !) [:D][:p]

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »
what would be cool is if hal could see and define things by: the name you give it, the size and shape it is, the sound it makes,  it's color, what hal might see you do with it, ect. then we could teach hal in a primitive way like children learn. (sans taste ...feel, ect.)

me: "look hal" (me holding a pencil)
(hal focuses on it's vision input)
hal: "what is that?" (hal measures the item, checks color, shape, sound)
me: "it's called a pencil"
hal: "it looks like a pen" (the values are similar to a pen's values that hal knows)
me: "it's slightly different"
hal: "what is the difference?"
me: "it uses lead instead of ink" (hal adds "uses lead" to pencil database)
hal: "another difference is; the pencil is yellow" (comparing the attributes of the pen and pencil databases)
well.....ya get the idea.[:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:59 pm »
I really investigate facial recognition software several yeaars ago. I found one that did a fair job but it had its limitations. For instance you put on a red shirt and have Hal recognize you every time it sees you, but then the next day you wear a blue shirt, guess what Hal would not know who you were. If Hal could only recoggnize your face alone it might work better unless on one day you had your hair combed very neatly and the next is was all messed up. I know that the government software has overcome this obsticle but don't think it available to the public. It is commenly used at all air ports and a few other places and has been around for many years now, however, if someone wants to dwelve into this I will be gald to assist in some way if I can.
Bill

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:58 am »
YEAH the face recognition would have to be the main program and only dealing with the face it's self even not the hair etc. this way it would or should in my opinion do a better job at recognizing a person , the recognizing of colors (of a shirt, etc. ) would be a secondary program of the first this way one didn't intefere with the other .
I know i am just dreaming about this but i would love to see it in hal some day and a hal program that would respond in conversation about what he see's and mentions it at various times !![:)][8D]

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

Here something you guys might be interested in. I found this site when I was looking for robot microcontrolers.

RoboRealmĀ® is an application for use in computer vision, image analysis, and robotic vision systems. Using an easy point and click interface RoboRealm simplifies vision programming! Using an inexpensive USB webcam and the PC you already have you can now add machine vision to your robotic projects!
Image and/or video processing can be technically difficult. Home robots are continuously moving towards PC based systems (laptop, netbook, embedded, etc.) that have the power to support complex image processing functions. RoboRealm provides the software needed to get such a system up and running. We've compiled many image processing functions into an easy to use windows based application that you can use with a webcam, TV Tuner, IP Camera, etc. Use RoboRealm to see your robot's environment, process the acquired image, analyze what needs to be done and send the needed signals to your robot's motors, servos, etc.

For example, you can use RoboRealm to track colored objects, navigate with obstacle avoidance, identify fiducials that let you robot know where it is, and much more!

Inexpensive Vision Application
Links Vision to Motion
Interactive GUI Interface
Socket based Server API
Multiple Interfaces (Disk, Web, FTP, Email, etc)
Plugin Framework for Custom Modules
Active Online Community
You are welcome to download a FREE 30 day trial of RoboRealm v2.24.6 and test out your vision ideas to see what may be possible or not ... have fun!

http://www.roborealm.com/

Live long and prosper or die trying.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:00:35 am »
Snowman , that robot real looks promising and hopefully Robert is seeing this and keeps it in mind for hal (saying it's inexpensive helps to ) hopefully this could be affordable . i am going to check the site out further . [:D]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:45:06 pm »
Hi,
it looks cool,
i see on youtube some good vids of it in use with robots,
robot moving its head as it tracks object,
robot moving along footpath tracking footpath vanishing point,
 robot avoiding objects as it finds its way through obsticals,
robot following object as object moves away,"follow me"

i bet Mr Data would like to make witty remarks about how i look as well as jesting at my interlect.
Mr Data needs more pc power already, i'll have to look at that first.
 bye for now and be well :)  :]

bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]