dupa

Author Topic: No sound and no dialogue  (Read 2894 times)

mannivw

• View Profile
No sound and no dialogue
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:31:05 am »
Hi

I've checked the postings and can't find a post that has mentioned this problem before.
I'm running a purchased HAL5, the zabaware brain plugins, hapteks full body character and microsoft text to speech engine with some true voices.  
All was fine until last night.  When I launch HAL she speaks my name and the current time and date, but once in the dialogue box, if I type anything she just ignores me and looks bored.  She doesn't speak or type a response.
I've re-installed 3 times and still no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
No sound and no dialogue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 09:17:24 am »
Try running the "Haptek SAPI Config" program located in the Haptek folder under programs in your start menu.
Robert Medeksza

mannivw

• View Profile
No sound and no dialogue
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:25:07 am »
Sorry I shld have said, I did this as well.  Does it matter which voice you select?  I selected true voice Carol.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
No sound and no dialogue
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 01:21:19 pm »
Hi mannivw,

I think the brain-files of your Hal have gone corrupt. You mention installing "the zabaware brain plugins". As far as I know it is not a good idea to use different brains with the same installation, because the files can get mixed up.

If nothing else works, I would suggest removing the Hal-installation folders manually and then re-installing Hal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 01:22:06 pm by Dr.Benway »

mannivw

• View Profile
No sound and no dialogue
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:04:19 am »
I figured it out last night before seeing this post and it was a corrupt alice brain.  Thanks.
You say "As far as I know it is not a good idea to use different brains with the same installation, because the files can get mixed up.
".   How do you install multiple instances of hal, all with different brain plug-ins?

Thanks again.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
No sound and no dialogue
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:30:12 am »
quote:
Originally posted by mannivw

How do you install multiple instances of hal, all with different brain plug-ins?

This is very tricky, because every installation of HAL needs his own C:\windows\Halasst.ini and consults the windows registry for the Zabaware installation keys. You could try to alter these settings every time you want to launch another version of Ultra Hal.

If this doesn't ring a bell I like to advise against going through so much trouble. Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:32:00 am by Dr.Benway »