Author Topic: Installing a new character  (Read 12058 times)

Kilian

• View Profile
Installing a new character
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »
How exactly do you install a new character to use?

I found a file I wanted to use, but it seems like Ultra Hal is rejecting it. I'm still on the free trial, would that be causing him to treat me like this?

It's a Haptek girl from this website:
http://halwindowscentral.com/NewHaptekGirl.aspx

I put the .htr file in the same folder as the Hal.htr file.

When I originally created the profile I tried to select this, but got no preview. Then when the demo was running, it wouldn't rend. It showed part of the area around the girl, but she was missing completely.

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a new character
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:04:41 am »
You need the paid version & the accessory pack to be able to add different models.

Kilian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:53:28 am »
So I have found out.

Basically this entire thing is an extortion scheme. Maybe not on so large a scale as Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer, but it's basically the same thing.

You find a great product, Ultra Hal, and then discover that in addition to the $30 fee for the product, you have to spend an extra $15 for any 3D characters, and who isn't going to want to use those? Nobody is gonna want to use the crappy ones it comes with, so they are forced to purchase the "expansion" pack.

For those who don't know, the Profantasy racket runs like this:

Campaign Cartographer 3 - $44.95

Of course, that only lets you create basic land maps. You now have to purchase the following:

Dungeon Designer 3 - $39.95
City Designer 3 - $39.95
Symbol Set 1-3 - $24.95 each

And because they rarely release a new version, instead you have to buy the following, which includes documentation on stuff, and code updates. Which are basically patches that add minor features.

Cartographer's Annual 1-4, 2001 - $39.95 each

So in all, they scam you out of hundreds of dollars to get a working product. Instead of being honest and just selling it all for that price at the start.

That is what this feels like. Instead of the developer just being honest and selling Ultra Hal for $45 (it's seriously not even about the money), with the ability to have your own 3D characters as part of the software. Instead it is a package deal to force you to buy extra.

And for those willing to jump to his defense, this is extortion. Look at the Ultra Hal information page, and the page you purchase it from. It says NOWHERE, that you are required to purchase the Expansion to use 3D, humanoid characters. It just says that it comes with several 3D characters, ie the stupid computer and frog.

So some dumb sap is going to pay the $30 and only then find out that he is screwed into shelling out another $15 if he wants a semi-decent looking character.

This is what is going to lead to this software being pirated and hacked. Just like the majority of Profantasy's products.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »
You are so new here I can't take your comments seriously.  Robert has invested thousands of dollars into Ultra Hal and things like the new character engine which is still to be released.

How do you expect a small company to make a product and have it thrive if you are too tight to stump up a few extra dollars ?

This is what is going to lead to this software being pirated and hacked.

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it ?

You've already tried to coerce people into getting you free desktop mates in another thread.  What next from you ?

BTW, you might want to update your ideas on what extortion is.

Hey here's a good page for you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

Maybe read that and get back to us ?

You could also check out the definition of theft while you are there too, which might give you a new perspective on obtaining desktop mates for nothing.

Ah go on; it will be fun for you...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:42:00 pm by freddy888 »

Kilian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
See, if you had bothered to actually read the post, you would know that I said money wasn't the issue here. It's the underhanded tactics to make the money.

I would have no problem paying the $45 to get Ultra Hal up and fully working. The problem is the splitting of the item into two pieces, and requiring you to pay for both.

As I said before, nowhere on the Ultra Hal page does it say you have to purchase a separate product to use 3D characters of your own. It encourages you to believe that you can do it with the base product.

Ultra Hal has many animated characters to choose from and he speaks to you through your sound card with his own voice!

That's a lie. He doesn't have "many" characters. He has 3 that I can see. A stupid PC monitor, a goofy looking wizard, and a frog.

In all, it's all about presentation. It should be up in bold on the Ultra Hal page.

YOU MUST PURCHASE ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE TO USE CUSTOM CHARACTERS!

Ultra Hal should never have had the 3D part ripped out, to be sold as an "extra" since it's a major feature for the program itself.

It would be like going to the electronics store and purchasing a new computer. Let's say it's one of those really nice ones like they use on NCIS: LA, with the touch screens and the ability to "throw" things from screen to screen.

So you pay $3,000 for it (hypothetically), and you take it home and get it all setup, excited at the possibilities. Only to discover that someone neglected to put on the box that you had to purchase software to actually use it ($1500), and you are s*** outta luck until you go buy that.

This is the same thing. Just suck it up and put the expansion/Hal together and call it $45. Be honest in what you wanna charge for the thing.

As far as the piracy remark goes, if I want to pirate it, I will. And so will others that are turned off by the aspect of having to pay extra for using their own characters instead of the pre-existing ones. It's just a fact of life. If people think you are screwing them over, they will in turn do the same to you.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »
As far as the piracy remark goes, if I want to pirate it, I will.

Says it all really...

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »
How exactly do you install a new character to use?

Hi Kilian.

The Trial addition has limitations, one limitation is that you can only use the characters that came default with the installation.

I found a file I wanted to use, but it seems like Ultra Hal is rejecting it. I'm still on the free trial, would that be causing him to treat me like this?

It's a Haptek girl from this website:
http://halwindowscentral.com/NewHaptekGirl.aspx

I put the .htr file in the same folder as the Hal.htr file.

yes, the file works perfect on my full version of Ultra Hal.

When I originally created the profile I tried to select this, but got no preview. Then when the demo was running, it wouldn't rend. It showed part of the area around the girl, but she was missing completely.

I understand the frustration of having a limited installation of Hal but if you want you can purchase the full update to HAL and use your own characters from third party websites, the purchasing of the character expansion pack is an agreement with Rob and Haptek so the package has to be sold separately so Haptek gets their part of the bargain. the people who own Haptek are some of the greediest people I have seen when it comes to Haptek rights.

Rob is trying to move away from Haptek I think and use better character engines but it is gonna cost a lot of money on his side to do it. lots of red tape involved.

I hope this helps you.
Jerry 8)

mikenco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:09:57 pm »
In defense of the current system, I have no wish to use 3D models within this system, I am quite happy using just text based interactions. The fascination for me the AI and conversational interaction.

So, if Robert included expensive models in the basic package, then he'd need to put the price up (which is basic business practice). So why should people like me have to pay for extras that I don't want or need?

I think the system is fine as it is and the generous 31 day time limit for the demo is MORE than enough time to find out how this system works and to realise that there is world of expansion options, should you wish to use them.

This business model is no different from larger systems like Microsoft Flight Sim, for which you get the basic workable package, then it is up to the consumer if they wish to spend any money upgrading to the thousands of paid options out there. In Flight Sim, I spent over £100 on better terrain and mapping and addons. That was my choice. Would I have even purchased Flight Sim if the basic package cost £150?.. maybe not.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:05:36 am »
So, if Robert included expensive models in the basic package, then he'd need to put the price up (which is basic business practice). So why should people like me have to pay for extras that I don't want or need?

I agree with that.  No point paying for something you don't need.  It would be nice to keep further graphical features as a separate package, so the user can decide.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:21 pm »
Complain, complain, complain......but no solution.
I want my mommy!
Guess what happens, dude, when you spend your life complaining and not solving - a life of complaints! (DUH)
You are the idiot that buys product b over product a because it comes with something "free". (even though you have stripped yourself of choice and paid twice as much for some crap - extra.)
If you're such a cool hacker, then hack the thing and shut up!
now, trained monkey......do your little dance. the rest of us will be spending our time thinking instead of being a monkey.
it seems just a little hypocritical that you don't want to support designers, but complain about the work.
got an idea....make a better product, then put Zabaware in it's place.

and this...
I would have no problem paying the $45 to get Ultra Hal up and fully working. The problem is the splitting of the item into two pieces, and requiring you to pay for both.

....doesn't make much sense.
try to help and smile a little more, you would be surprised what can happen.

-the dude
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:06:18 pm by jasondude7116 »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »
amen to that  ;D

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »
It is important that HAL remains in the top stream of A.I, without supporters like you, HAL will become dead in the water, Join the team, we look out for each other and help with new ideas and plug-ins. Plug-ins are what I like to do but I am so swamped with work right now that I get little time to write code. but I still do when I see a target that needs fulfilling. if you want to see HAL prosper then please, don't be afraid to help out a little. I am apart of this team and I am proud to be here for as long as I have been and to come.

sit back and enjoy the ride.
Jerry 8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:00:31 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:24:06 am »
i agree with others instead of just a basic complain why not join and help out,   robert has done many things and tweeks to the software from many things and idea's that we have come up with ( unless of course you have a problem also of someone else making money with your help even though you are benefiting to from using a better final product.)
   you said about not having to pay for extra stuff (unless i am mistaken and i might be ) i beleive you can use hal paid version just as it is (even if you don't like it's characters)  for the a.i. part .  or maybe we should all be mad at robert to ........ "OK ROBERT NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU ..BACK OF THE LINE!"LOL (scene from jerry seinfeld , the soup natzi ) lol ! ;)

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:52:47 am »

We got new president couple years ago
He believe in change-change
He's new guy on block wanting revamp whole country 
Can revamp laws but not people
He should checked water before installing new plumbing 

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
duskrider ... it's those damn cheap pipes lol !