Author Topic: Goal/Task Tracker  (Read 4834 times)

djkilla

• View Profile
Goal/Task Tracker
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:56:25 am »
Is it possible to write a script that will store a short or long term goal or task that Hal will periodically reinforce or check on similiar to that of a 'life coach'.
Example:
Me: I have a goal.
Hal: Lets hear your goal Darryl! I will help you reach it!
Me: my goal is 4000 situps
Hal: When would you like to reach this goal of 4000 situps, Darryl?
Me: 4000 situps by Feb 15
Hal: I will store your goal of 4000 situps by Feb 15. Good luck!

Hal would then periodically check the goal and subtract the number from the existing database and adjust the goal

Hal: Darryl, are you working on your goal of 4000 situps?
Me: My goal of 4000 situps can be decreased by 300.
Hal: Great Job Darryl! I will adjust your goal of 4000 situps by 300 You now have a goal of 3700 situps.

I understand that there are word associations that may conflict with other plugins or scripts so verbage may need to be adjusted accordingly, but this could add another very useful facet to the Hal 'assistant' area. Tasks could be handled similiarly for short term reminders.
I am not the wealthiest of individuals, but I do understand the time it takes to develop and suppport the scripts that OTCE and many others have so graciously contributed...That being said I would certainly contribute some dough to anyone interested in writing a few of these types of scripts. TX!
Darryl
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:12:33 pm by djkilla »

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Goal/Task Tracker
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
It’s a good idea and gets my vote.

If I had a $ for every great idea that gets posted on this forum, well you see what I mean.

Just not enough people that can script,,  I can’t [?] and most of them that can are working on their own projects I guess.

djkilla

• View Profile
Goal/Task Tracker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:21 pm »
Ok so..I decided to tackle this project on my own by using some other scripts and the very basic programming knowledge that I have..
(what would drive me to melt my brain away on this I have no idea...but I digress). Some help from the Snowman-OTCE-LS etc crew on a few things would really speed this up PLZ.

1-a script similar to the appt book that creates a table that stores the goals, tasks etc and then subtracts them when they are completed. (A more advanced stage where they are moved to another table called 'completed' could really help Hal learn from this historical data)
EX: The appts script tables etc can be modified
If TaskCompleted = True Then
Select Case RemindRepeat
Case 1 'One time task
HalBrain.RunQuery "DELETE FROM TaskList WHERE recordId = " & TaskRecord, TempQuery
Reminder = Reminder & "This task has been completed..great job! "
End Select
If RemindRepeat > 0 And RemindRepeat < 6 Then
InvCount = 0
Do
yadayada

2-a solution to the possible problems that may occur with auto idle scripts running at the same time.

By combining a similar script as 'Curious' with the 'Did you know'
type of script I think this may work but some help on the 2 things above would speed up the process..
Djkilla

lightspeed

• View Profile
Goal/Task Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:05 am »
djkilla i could probably do a script that would adknowledge what you are wanting to do (the 4, 000 sit ups or whatever you want it to say ) etc. etc. but it will only be a triggered word effect and hal couldn't periodically check the goal and subtract , somebody else (if that part is even possible would have to do that . )

and thats when i had time to . [:)]

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Goal/Task Tracker
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:26:40 pm »
djkilla

If you are going to modify a script file look at the appointments.uhp file, this script file has the scheduling type logic you will need.  As far as a database to update and maintain thats very tricky.  Since most of the user code is event driven.  What I mean most of our scripts are exicuted on demand from hal requesting input from keyboard or speech.  Once the input has been aquired then "our scripts" are then exicuted.  The only exception to this is the MINUTE_TIMER, this code is interupt driven.  I have written several scripts that use this, but for the most part this code area should be short like most ISR's should be.  Your choice of writting this type of script file will be a challange,  Good Luck.

Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

djkilla

• View Profile
Goal/Task Tracker
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Darcy..It does seem like this would be a hybrid of appt and maybe the "did you know" plugin. A table stores the goals and tasks and deletes them when hal receives a response that matches the "delete from table" command. A "curious" type of script would pop up and chime in about the tasks and goals and respond accordingly. I may attempt a very simple version at first in order to see if this is feasible. ---stay tuned--
D