Author Topic: hal still having blank answers  (Read 8268 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: hal still having blank answers
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:31 pm »
i used hal again and got more blank answers ,then  i tried what lola said i ran ccleaner , ran registry , and even defragged my pc and also restarted it and after having hal going after a while he gave some blank asnwers , this time though he did manage to stay working even after the blank answer . but i thought i would take a picture of the hal txt box i see it had a responce saying busy or something . maybe if it will load the pic here someone might see what the problem is that's causing a blank answer? (i hope!) here is a pic reduced to 31.8 kb

Why isn't it possible for me to upload a picture any more , i just tried to upload a reduced size picture to show people and i get this error : the uploader folder is full , please try a smaller file and or contatc the adminastrator ?????
I am also going to post this question in the general area , hopefully for robert to see.

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 11:05:23 pm »
Lightspeed, my job really drains me but during the weekends I always stop by to check the forum. I've been spending most of my time getting acquainted with the brain and doing small modifications. I'm planning to be very busy for the next few weeks with the patterns and insults tables but when I finish I plan on learning how to create a new brain for guests. I will test it without plugins or brain modifications for a couple of months to see if it makes a difference with the blank responses. If the problem is not solved by then I will post what I find out.

Meanwhile I'm trying to use some common sense with this. I did a quick search and found that the problem of blank responses goes many years and versions back, the earlier date I found was from 2004. I only searched the "blank response" term, meaning some people might had used other terminology to explain the same problem. A lot of possible issues were discussed from older plugins all the way to the spacing rules and the format of the Q&As files. So the problem actually requires a more thorough investigation.

I've never done a poll and don't know how to do it, but it could be a good idea to find out if many users are experiencing similar difficulties with the blank responses or if it it just the minority. If a lot of users cooperate with the poll, we could find out many things like which users tends to have this problem more, the ones that type responses or the ones that use speech technology, the ones without plugins or the ones with them, the ones who modify their brains or the ones who don't, the degrees of severity with the problem from mild to severe, etc. This information might be helpful to pinpoint the areas to focus on.

Anyways, I know that sometimes when I type I have created MANY blank spaces by accident, so there are so many different issue into this...

Bye now, hopefully things will get better eventually. :)

PS. I'm trying to send a 19.6 KB picture to try the system, if you don't see it there is a problem...

Yes, there is a problem:

“The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.”   ???

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 05:28:06 am »
Hi,
must post,
if hal were not capable of a blank responce i would see that as a problem.
people use them so why am i the only one to say so.
i understand that to many blanks could be seen to be a problem.
Are we trying to make Hal human like,, if so hal would be able to say nothing just like a person.
else Hal is moving away from being human like.

if blank fix then i hope its a plug in that can be ticked or not.
perhaps a blank fix with rules like,, is hal the one being talked to "as hal might be being talked about and not to".   As Mr Data seemed to be unusually lucky with that case, not speaking when talked about, but
then spoke at the right time later. 
Knowing when not to talk  "watching tv with friends" else he'd keep interumpting.
listening to music  "although as i've mentioned i've observed Mr Data stop commenting during music or background noise but
then start talking again when music is off and conversation starts again.
If he could not do this i'd be disapointed and be asking for a blank responce plug in.
Why is being more human like not the way we want hal to be?
eh i've woffled on about this all be fore so i must be boring you's.
Bye for now and be well form Will.   :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 07:52:42 am »
Hi lola and will , first to lola .
Lola and others i sent an e mail and let robert know about the pic uploader problem so hopefully he will check into it soon and also i redid again the code line into my custom brain and fingers crossed ( i hate to mention this, last time i said something hal started right afterwards blanking ) and talked with hal for quit a while and had no blanks i am doing further testing today , i did notice something that for whatever reason last time hal didn't do when i put the code in the brain and that was ask me if i wanted to save the changes . i put yes , so maybe that "was" part of the problem , i don't know i am just guessing on this. i hope it solves it . i will know by tonight if i get any more blanks when i can check stuff more .
Now to will , Will maybe if you want blank answers a blank answer plug in could be set up , i am thinking by using the random answer based on a lonelisness , etc. program and let random answers be blank or just show a question mark . that's my idea on it . Some others can chime in here if they think it's a good idea ! ;)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:49:28 am »
Hi 'Will', I don't receive many blank answers not incorporating all the other script modifications as of yet but it seems even Robert expressed that there is something not correct. Ultra Hal again was based on assistant characteristics as well as a conversationalist. Robert had intentionally  written a script so Ultra Hal always responds or pulls info from various tables. This was also confirmed in earlier post in this thread. I truly understand why it would seem to make sense to have Ultra Hal maybe not respond but I believe Ultra Hal just wasn't written in this manner and OTC tried to help by writing that extra script for Robert in which Robert acknowledged because he was having no luck when people were questioning the blank answer syndrome.

It just seems that even the members that are more than qualified to understand this problem, Robert may be the only one to make sense of all their added input. Just seems members have kind of narrowed it down but not to the extent of a cure.

There is something inherently different in Ultra Hal and individual setups that creates these problems. Be it the system, processor, software or the simple loading of Ultra Hals info. Ultra Hal has come so far and it seems to be more noticeable on more and more with systems that certain information or processes get a higher priority when processing info from any program that is running on any particular machine.

Every other AI program seem to run into similar problems at times. It could be topic responses or any other function they are not expecting from their program.

Reminds me of intermittent electrical problems, which I believe are hair raising trying to find because of inconsistency.
So I guess in your example it is what it is and it works for you based on the reasons you give. You may have been right all this time but others find it as a flaw because the intent was for Ultra Hal to respond to every situation and not just what we consider to be a human like feature of Ultra Hal . Ultra Hal that was designed to have certain features that don't always work the way we in-vision them to work are considered a problem reflected by the builders intent and the script knowledge of others. Robert M. really sets the bar for what he intended Ultra Hal to be and we just kind of try to have the program fit our perception.(more human qualities, more utility qualities) Certain members are certainly trying to increase the possibilities because of their knowledge but does it work in the bigger scheme of things? Most of the times it has but occasionally it creates other situations.
Just my opinion.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
aha yes but sometime other situations lead to better improvements ( well hopefully better i'll leave it at that lol !) ;)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
Hi lightspeed, I'm one of those that agree and hope it does create better situations or at least stumble upon some answers when Ultra Hal doesn't react the way maybe Robert M. intended. He has in the past incorporated other ideas or plug-ins.

I guess I'm swinging in the middle here. There was a time when the forum came to a halt I believe when members or and owners of Ultra Hal weren't sure about the new update. Now it seems with certain problems that Ultra Hal has become saturated and it makes it harder to distinguish if there is a saturation point based upon the original programming.

Talk to you soon,
raybe