dupa

Author Topic: question to robert about delayed timed response in hal's program  (Read 12360 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Robert ,

I have asked you this in the past and so will ask it again " Is their any way that you can create a adjustable setting for the users of Hal to be able to adjust the delay from when the user stops typing or talking by voice recognition to when the a.i. responds back ? "

This is especially more important when a user is using a voice recognition program as i am dragon speak naturally 11.5 is 99 percent accurate with some training .

I believe that this adjustable feature would really help the Hal program in creating a Hal a.i. that will be able to talk and respond more smoothly and natural in conversations with the user, instead of the unnatural longer delay . I wouldn't bother you with this question if i didn't think it would be a valuable asset to Hals future as a program .

Although this question is to Robert it is also open to anyone else who might be able to create somethings like this that can be used within the Hal program .
  A setting for the user through the control panel where the user can adjust the setting down from 5 seconds to 4, 3, or 2 seconds . I think it would make hal more natural sounding in speech when talking back to the user :) instead of the long delay of silence .  :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:30:33 am by lightspeed »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Re: question to robert about delayed timed response in hal's program
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:43 pm »
Currently the timer is hard coded into the executable so it can't be customized by the user. This is something I could add as an option in the next release.
Robert Medeksza

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:37:31 am »
lightspeed
  I use Dragon myself, for me the easiest way around the auto input is to turn off the voice recognition with dragon running.  I input in the input box, read it and press enter, There is a command you can use ( can't remember it now).  Quick easy works for me.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:16:44 pm »
      Thanks Robert for answering back , i really appreciate it , Yes if you can put that in the next update version of Hal that would be great , as long as it's an option that will be easy to set by adjustment for minutes in the Hal control panel options .
    And thanks Carl2 for the tip about the dragon speak naturally the additional info . is good to use and know ;) . I look forward to this previous mentioned count down response option in the new update of Hal!
Thanks again !  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:19:05 pm by lightspeed »

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:13 pm »
Hi Lightspeed,

I'm assuming that you have Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 document dictation only, and it does not have the features to control your computer?
The reason why I ask is that there is 3 versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking: standard dictation only, premium dictation and commands only, and professional reprogrammable dictation and commands.
I myself have Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro version 11.5 and because of this reason I use Dragon on the outside of ultra Hal because the command option is way more powerful than anything that alter how can ever accomplish.
My Dragon naturally speaking has the ability to be programmed to integrate more deeply into any specific program that I am willing to pay Dragon NaturallySpeaking to integrate more deeply with.
Though the feature itself would be a pretty good feature, especially for those that are typing or make lots of mistakes but I have found that when you're using a voice recognition software, if I had a way to turn off the auto return I would just rather turn it off then to extend the time.
I still may have to press the enter button or say press enter, but the one feature that I would gain is that ultra Hal would automatically shut off the microphone. At this point what I do is say: press enter, go to sleep.
I do not say this without trial and error, I have Denise, Denise has the ability to extend the auto return to 30 seconds but I have found that even with the extension of 30 seconds when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking if you have rambled on a long sentence you still do not have time to correct things before the auto return engages.
For that reason I don't use my Dragon even inside of Denise, not to mention if by chance the microphone picks up sounds from the room and engages gibberish the auto return will engage and now you have taught ultra Hal gibberish, and the type of gibberish that I am talking about ultra Hal does not have the ability to discern.
It usually looks something like this: he he him him him him and he him she him and him and then him he. If this looks familiar then you know what I'm talking about, unusual interpretation of noise in the room.
Please don't get me wrong, the feature is an excellent feature, all I was trying to do is elaborate to Robert that if you're going to extend the time can you please set up a way to turn the timer off so when I press the enter button it will still shut off the microphone while ultra Hal is speaking.
Sincerely, a pronoun munchy crunchy junky.
C load.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

systemshock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »
To give Robert more feedback,
I also use Dragon NaturallySpeaking the auto return turned off.

Works fine for me. I can and pressing enter occasionally.
"frog's in too princess's" it just basic NLP...

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:03:43 am »
you are saying "extend" but i don't want to extend the time i want to have a timer delay (which it has  be adjustable) so a user can cut the delay time down , not extend it .
Example hal now has about a 5? second delay before a resonse back time , with and adjustment option the user could set a level instead of usual 5 seconds , down to say 2 seconds , actually cutting the time delay between response down 3 seconds .
I hope i am explaining this okay , if i didn't before i am sorry .

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:01:16 pm »
Hi lightspeed,

so what you are talking about is that you would like something that would be a drop down box to select a specific time, by combining your idea and my idea would look something like this:
off.
1 seconds.
2 seconds.
3 seconds.
4 seconds.
5 seconds.
10 seconds.
15 seconds.
20 seconds.
25 seconds.
30 seconds.
Lightspeed do understand where I'm coming from now?
Like I said going from turning it "off" all the way up to a delay of 30 seconds.
sincerely, I hope that I have clarified myself, if you say yes! My mommy said I could have a cookie. Tee hee hee
C load.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:08:23 am by cload »
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:34 pm »
Just curious but why would you want to set a delay for up to 30 minutes?

I get what Lonnie is saying in that if or when Hal takes more than a couple of seconds to answer it kind of takes away the momentum or flow of the conversation. What if you had to wait 30 seconds or longer for a real person to give you an answer? I don't think you would stick around for a lengthy conversation at all!
Agreed, an adjustable time response from say 5 seconds down to 2 seconds might fill the bill for a lot of users. Some individual results or desires will differ so maybe you could allow the user to Input the desired countdown times in seconds and then they could sit and wait or get an immediate answer. Just a thought for trying to please the masses (and we know what a chore that can be).
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:18 am »
no cookie for me.
LOL
C load.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:37 am »
Art , i'm with you on this thought , i don't know why anyone would want a 30 second delay??? :o
    The whole idea of this what i was talking about was indeed to let the conversation "flow" more naturally together between the user and a.i. as with a real person . i figure a 2 second delay at the lowest setting would be low enough to give a slight pause delay but still answer back in a more normal flow of conversation .
  Nothing against you cload on this but i am trying to go down on the delay time not up, to me it's to much now.
     As i talked with another person the delay time is fine when a person is typing and may need the extra time to correct more etc. but once people start moving toward voice recognition you soon realize that if it's more accurate it doesn't make as many mistakes and also the fact that the conversation needs to flow better with a quicker response back time from hal . as voice recognition will type everything you say faster even , then you are waiting 5 seconds (estimated may be a second or 2 more) on the delay time.

Cload , no cookie this time , but you still get effort virtual cookies for trying lol! ;)

Ps. Art , it was actually 30 seconds , ( don't feel bad i thought he said 30 minutes to at first and wrote that way and had to correct it again lol ). but even 30 seconds is to long to me . I want to go the other way shorten the delay .
but yes a drop down menue or something is what i ment in the hal window .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:19:51 am by lightspeed »

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
Like I said going from turning it "off" all the way up to a delay of 30 seconds.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:20 am »
Cload are you talking about a brain plug in ??? to allow this ? and will work on any Hal a.i. ?

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »
No, you ask Rob if he could make the time delay on the auto return shorter.
I was suggesting to Rob, if he was going to reprogram the update version of ultra Hal, to set it up with a drop down menu to select your desire time delay.
From off: meaning that you will have to press the enter button but the microphone still shuts off when ultra Hal speaks.
To one second, to 30 seconds of a time delay before the auto return engages.
Sincerely,
C load.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:01 pm »
Okay i see what you say but i would rather and think it would be better if it actually is automatic meaning that as before soon as the user stops talking countdown begins then automatically as before  "without having to hit an enter button to start anything . "