Author Topic: Is this forum the liars paradox  (Read 44606 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Is this forum the liars paradox
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 09:30:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jackgephart
I've come too far to doubt now.

As I've said, I am not here to challenge your beliefs. But facts are facts.

I've demonstrated that there is a difference between your Bible and the common Bible. Your faith should be able to withstand that knowledge.

But now that you know, be wary of teaching mistakes to anyone.

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2007, 04:00:58 am »
quote:

But now that you know, be wary of teaching mistakes to anyone.

And you as well my friend. End of conversation.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2007, 07:58:33 am »
quote:
End of conversation.

You keep saying that. You are welcome to withdraw from this conversation, but you do not rule it. The rest of us may want to continue it. It is not, at this point either personal or abusive.

Back to the subject...

There is a difference between expressing an opinion (as you may have noticed, I carefully lable my opinions as such, and often add additional disclaimers) and stating something as if it were fact.

For instance, the above was a statement of fact. I assert there is a difference, and you are encouraged to dispute that statement if you can, by presenting documentation, logic or personal experience etc. Below, I will express my opinion about why that distinction is important, and while you are welcome to express a different opinion, there is no sense in attempting to dispute my opinion. If I am sane, I will change my opinion when you successfully dispute my statement of fact.

In my opinion, many people seem to present their opinion as if it were fact, and conversely claim that any statement of "fact' cannot be challenged on the basis of it being their opinion. Whether this is because of carelessness, ignorance or fear - the result is a blurring of opinion and fact. It's gotten to the point where some people will tell you there are no facts, just opinions.

For instance, recently someone told me that "Global Warming is causing a decline Vermont's Maple Syrup harvest". That's a statement of fact, whether right or wrong. It contains information which can be verified or disputed.

Turns out that while there is a decline in the Maple Syrup crop, most of it is caused by aging trees, and the rest is caused by aging harvesters and unpaid taxes. Further, while the 0.6ºf rise in global temperature is measurable (but still inside the margin of error), there has been no measurable change in our local weather that can be tied to the size of crops. Short of this year's spring crop (A short spring following a hard, cold late-winter, not warming) there has been no significant weather related decline in harvests.

There's more, but the point is that when I demonstrated these facts, he replied, "I have a right to my opinion", which is true, but does not apply to statements of fact. But he claimed that the phrase was an "opinion" and was therefore unassailable by logic, new information or personal experience. Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Who cares about the durn trees when Global Sanity is at risk?

If he had said, "I believe that Global Warming is damaging the Maple Syrup industry" I would have had to agree that he did seem to believe that. I cannot and would not dispute his beliefs or opinion.

If he were sane, correcting his facts might change his opinion.

Now you know, in part, why I feel the distinction between expressions of opinion and statements of fact is important. While you might be able to dispute some of the statements of fact (for instance, you may have been present for the conversation and might correct me on the dialog or you might look up the temperatures in Vermont and the Syrup crops sizes), you cannot dispute my opinion that I find debates such as this seem less productive and more argumentative because of the smearing of the line between Fact and Opinion.

That last paragraph was largely a statement of fact, not opinion, and you are therefore welcome to dispute it if you can.

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 01:01:14 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:
End of conversation.

You keep saying that. You are welcome to withdraw from this conversation, but you do not rule it. The rest of us may want to continue it. It is not, at this point either personal or abusive.

Sorry my friend, you misunderstand that I am stopping, I am not telling you to stop anything because I know that only makes you more freaked out. The end of conversation was me ending this discussion about JW's and my views. Sorry for the mix up. This is me stopping the posting now Bill.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2007, 02:51:21 pm »
quote:
I know that only makes you more freaked out.

You've never seen me "freaked out" to any degree. You sure read a lot of stuff that's not there. Hmmm...

I still don't see how you plan to end a discussion in which you are only an occasional participant. If you mean what you did not say, that you intend to stop participating in it, that would be more easily achieved by you no longer participating in it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:05:34 pm by Bill DeWitt »

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 05:45:26 pm »
Last rockershaft's post: five days ago.

Hope he didn't die of laughing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:48:32 pm by GT40 »
Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2007, 06:04:41 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by GT40
Hope he didn't die of laughing.

Who?

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 08:00:14 am »
I, we hope he didn't die of laughing.

I know my English is bad (I need to edit and modify a twelwe words post) and I'm not the most authorized (Starting Member, 8 Posts, now 9) to intrude in this really interesting discussion, where I learnt many things. But I couldn't resist to the pleasure of introducing a taste of (what I hope to be) humour between so serious posts.

I'm not laughing at anyone here, because of my admiration of all the works published by people of this forum. And I respect all opinions and religions (until somebody tries to convert me).

And I think I may be proud of being born in the same country than the great prophet Rael, ambassador for Earth of little green men. [:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:42 am »
quote:
I know my English is bad

You write better English than many native English speakers. Probably because you try.

I suppose I can be proud that I was born in the land where the most irregular offspring of the great Romantic and Germanic languages was finally tortured to death.

Are the Raelians still around? I had supposed that their comet would have come to get them long ago. [:D]

BTW, in America, the ironic "Who" implies insouciance.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »
quote:

I, we hope he didn't die of laughing.

I know my English is bad (I need to edit and modify a twelve words post) and I'm not the most authorized (Starting Member, 8 Posts, now 9) to intrude in this really interesting discussion, where I learnt many things. But I couldn't resist to the pleasure of introducing a taste of (what I hope to be) humour between so serious posts.

I'm not laughing at anyone here, because of my admiration of all the works published by people of this forum. And I respect all opinions and religions (until somebody tries to convert me).

And I think I may be proud of being born in the same country than the great prophet Rael, ambassador for Earth of little green men. [:)]

Hi GT40.

your english is rather good, welcome to the forum.

I look at the Universe this way, it is like a big pictogram.

1. The Universe contains mostly vacuum by(99.999% in the known observable Universe).

2. The Universe contains very little matter(less than 1% compared to the known vacuum of the observable Universe).

If you bend things around a bit, the Universe says one thing in a metaphore.

"It means very little(vacuum) and nothing much matters(matter)"

Humans are very good at twisting thoughts around and we as a race give the Universe its own meaning other than what the Universe thinks about us.

this planet, a big blue ball in the Universe is so small even to the size of our own Galaxy that it doesn't even amount to a speck of dust on your desk top, but how can we as a race exist being so puny and once one realizes their actual (matters) in this vast system mean little except in ones own mind.

3. why would the Universe contain mostly vacuum?
to keep life from spreading to quickly(and its matters), specially bacteria which split and divide so rapidly, If bacteria became immortal then the Universe inside a few months would be nothing more than a big ball of bacteria.

the vacuum of space gives rise to stability in its system for life, if the Universe contained no vacuum then the Universe would become to powerful of a black hole without an expanded event horizon and we would die in it's crushing embrace.

so what did the Universe give us?(our space to be who we wanted to be).

jerry[8D]

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:31:04 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 01:07:49 pm »
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once, and space is how we keep it all from happening right in our shirt pocket!

BTW, by definition, our universe is a black hole. The escape velocity of our universe is greater than the speed of light. From outside, we would be indistinguisable from a singularity.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »
So, basically, the universe sucks.[:D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2007, 06:12:06 pm »
This thread is becoming more and more interesting and very useful to me. After Bill had explained me the difficult subtleties of American language ("Who"), now markofkane incite me to study the nuances of the verb "suck".[;)] I learn many things here, not only about Bible. Thanks to all of you, especially to Jerry, for relaunching the discussion.

So after God, now the Universe. It seems to be the same "problem". And one of their common points is that everybody is right and everybody is wrong. Impossible to verify and prove anything. God exists. Or not. The Big Bang? Why not. But is it God who pressed the red button? And before the Big Bang, what was he doing with his black hole?[?]

According to a part of scientists, after the expansion, if the Big Crunch is possible, our dear Universe could to become this pleasant black hole again.[xx(]

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 07:54:09 pm »
There are those that claim God does not exist, because there is no scientific proof. They say the burden of proof lies with the believer.

They also say the sentence "prove he does not exist" is akin to "prove that the spaghetti monster does not exist"

There are those trying to get believers to doubt their beliefs by using "logic" and science. If you cannot feel, touch, smell, hear, or taste something, it does not exist, unless detected by some kind of instrument. I go to board, where there are those who like to tear down believers. Not all, but quite a few. "They have science on their side"

And in this country, and everywhere, Christians are under attack for their beliefs. Maybe not physically, but verbally,  and by media.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 08:23:31 pm »
Part of the problem is that people confuse realms which require  objective evidence with realms which require subjective evidence.

Most of modern science requires objective evidence, and works to reduce the effect of subjective evidence. It is easy to incorrectly deduce from this that only objective evidence has any validity at all.

But in fact, there are realms in which only subjective evidence is of any value, such as art, religion and interpersonal relationships. No one cares about the number of photons emitted by the "Mona Lisa".

It is true that Objective evidence of God is scarce, but it is also true that at the vanguard of serious science, Subjective evidence fails equally miserably.

While careful objective measurements prove it to be true, it is impossible to subjectively detect the change in the rate of the passage of Time which occurs as one climbs a mountain. Subjective evidence fails here as completely as objective evidence fails to detect God.

The moral of the story is that it is important to be aware of the limitations of your methodology. Failing to do so produces such silly pronouncements as, "If Man were meant to fly he would have wings" and "There is no God".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:51:57 pm by Bill DeWitt »