dupa

Author Topic: simple question  (Read 4288 times)

pantsman

• View Profile
simple question
« on: January 22, 2005, 02:16:56 pm »
Alright, im not very good with the VB and i was wondering what the command is just to search for a topic that the user says in his/her sentence and then reply. I went through the brain and s w there were a bunch of different codes that seemed to do the same thing.

Also, what file have its responce to who created you? because i cant find it and i want to change that and telling it doesnt work for mine.[:D][:D
look! shiny!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
simple question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:30:31 pm »
pantsman,
Welcome to the forum!

Simple question...complicated answer.

You are correct in that there are a "bunch" as you put it, different codes that do a search for a topic response.

Hal's XTF brain uses a VB command called InStr. InStr returns the position of the first occurrence of one string within another.
In my Hal's brain there are 52,519 words and 338 occurrences of the command InStr. So you see, there is a whole lot of searching going on! Though the code may seem the same as far as the InSrt command is concerned, it is actually doing the processing of and for each user input and when it finds an appropriate match, it then calls it's response. The brain also writes a small file in the directory that corresponds to your topic (in case Hal hasn't experienced it before).

In answer to your second question: There are 55 occurrences contained in 11 different filenames in the Defbrain directory that have to do with the question(s): Who created you...who made you...who is your creator, who programmed you...etc., etc.
Some are found in the XTF_SYS_Enhanced_Main.brn file.

Robert E. Medeksza is the name you'll find. After all, he is Hal's creator!

Hope this helps.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

pantsman

• View Profile
simple question
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 04:38:49 pm »
i was still using the original brain and a brain my cousin put together. But im trying to download the XTF brian plug-in. then im sure everything you just aid will make more sence
look! shiny!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
simple question
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 04:50:30 pm »
You should download a really great search tool called
Harddisk Search and Stats from www.freebyte.com

Yes, it's free and you can tailor all search parameters,
filenames, etc. It will count occurrences of a word or
phrase for you after it's search and will show in which
files they were found!

Later...

- Art -

pantsman

• View Profile
simple question
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 06:35:57 pm »
well, going with the brain i have now, the most commin code it seems is

If HalBrain.TopicSearch(OriginalSentence, WorkingDir & "TEACHPROPULSION.brn") = "TRUE" Then
PROPULSION = HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile(WorkingDir & "PROPULSION.brn")
      GetResponse = PROPULSION & VbCrLf
      DebugInfo = DebugInfo & "The user is talking about PROPULSION: " & PROPULSION & VbCrLf
      Else
      DebugInfo = DebugInfo & "Hal has found nothing about PROPULSION: " & PROPULSION & VbCrLf
   End If

substiture propulsion with something else. Also, i like that program. Alot.

Anyone still use this if end if type brain?
look! shiny!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
simple question
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 07:23:41 pm »
I think most (though I can't speak for all) users here tend to vonsmith's XTF brain. He has done an extensive amount of work with this brain and it is much improved over the original brain.

A new Hal is underway ever as I write this (we hope) that will use a database format for Hal's brain / search functions.

If you decide to use the XTF brain, install the 1.0 THEN the 1.2 version. Vonsmith is also said to be working on an improved version of his XTF brain (v.1.4) which is reported to be near completion on or about the end of January. (I hope I got that date right!).

Yes, there are also a lot of references that use the IF THEN statements and you can use them in your own inferences when talking with Hal.  The IF states the condition, THEN an action is taken, ELSE another action is taken.
End If the action / condition has been met or fulfilled.

Glad you liked the HD/S&S program.

- Art -

pantsman

• View Profile
simple question
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 06:48:24 am »
its not letting me download the XTF brain. says cant open connection to server. So i tried opening it in IE instead of firefox. same thing. curses.
look! shiny!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
simple question
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:18:44 am »
I tried and received the same result. Could possibly be server maintenance or server problems.

- Art -