Author Topic: HalVisionX Beta  (Read 164937 times)

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
HalVisionX Beta
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:31 pm »
Thanks to sofort99's and some needed help from ONE I finally got a beta version that can give your Hal some vision....

It basically searches for faces and when it finds one it automatically stimulates your Hal's Console.

***Special Thanks to rlederer for essentially creating the XP Version of this program... Thus allowing a large portion of everyone on this forum the ability to give there Ultra Hal vision.***

HalVisionX Info:

There is a couple of minor quirks... for instance, you need to have Hal open for it to work, you need to have the HalVisionX plugin selected in your Hal Options Panel, and you need to have the curser in the Hal console text box...

The last one can catch you off guard because sometimes when the Hal console is stimulated by HalVisionX program your Hal will say something like 'please say something' or 'Talk to me' because the curser is not in the text-input section.

To adjust the sensitivity of the Face detection choose between Low, Med, High or Extreme.[Default is 'Low']

To adjust how often Hal is stimulated when a face is recognized choose a number (in seconds)from the drop-down ComboBox. [Default is '10' seconds]

If your Hal Directory is different from the Hal's Default directory then find it by selecting the 'Hal Directory' button in the Options Menu.

The Default Directory is 'C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 6/'

What Hal does when it is stimulated....?

Currently whatever you want him/her to do. The plugin provided, when stimulated by the HalV program, will currently GetResponse a Randomized selection of Sentences... like:

I see you.
And you thought I wasn't watching.
You can not sneak up on me now that I can see.
etc...

You can do anything else you wish in this plugin that you want. The plugin is ran in the Post-Process plugin area. This area seems to meet the requirements needed.

Install instructions:
Below there are two version of the HalVisionX software: one for Vista and another for Windows XP. They are packaged using ClickOnce instead of a regular windows installation package. Microsoft seems to think its a better deal so I used it. Download a suitable version.

Just extract it all into one file location and click either setup.exe or HalVisionX.application for both will install it..

You can even place these files 'as is' onto a cd-rom and it it should load and install thanks to the autorun.inf file.

Since this is a ClickOnce install it should install into a 'hidden' file location on your hard-drive (called AppData) if you are using Vista. If you are using Windows XP it is a visible file. To uninstall it just go to your uninstall area in you Control Panel. That was Microsoft's idea...

Try it out and give me some feedback or suggestions... I'm not very experienced when it comes to programming but I'll give it my best shot..

*************WINDOWS VISTA AND WINDOWS XP USERS*****************

Note that you will need .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 installed before you can run HalVisionX-XP or HalVisionX-VISTA... However, Hal apparently will not let you install the .NET framework until you first uninstall Ultra Hal. You will of course re-install your Hal afterwards. You do not need to back-up any of your Halbrains, plugins, Haptars, or any other custom item that you may have in your Hal directory. You just uninstall Hal. After you have installed the .NET Framework and reinstalled your Hal you are now ready to download the HalVision-XP or HalVisionX-VISTA program as well as the HalVision.uhp plugin below.

*********************WINDOWS VISTA USERS*********************

***Note: Download this file and the HalvisionX.uhp plugin if you just want your Hal to see.***
This is a link to the HalVisionX-VISTA Program: It is a 790Kb download.
http://cid-8461e5894db222b3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SourceCode%20HalVisionX-Vista%20.zip#resId/8461E5894DB222B3!111

This of course is the HalVision.uhp plugin:
Download Attachment: HalVisionX.uhp
2.37 KB

***Note: Download this file if you want to explore or modify your HalVisionX-VISTA software... You will need Visual Studio 2005 or better to open the files in this zip.***
This is a link to the HalVisionX-VISTA Source Code: This is a 3.3Mb download.
http://cid-8461e5894db222b3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SourceCode%20HalVisionX-Vista%20.zip#resId/8461E5894DB222B3!123

*********************WINDOWS XP USERS*********************

This is where you can download .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1. It is a 231Mb Download.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

***Note: Download this file and the HalvisionX.uhp plugin if you just want your Hal to see.***
This is the HalVisionX-XP Software: It is a 3.94Mb download.
http://cid-8461e5894db222b3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SourceCode%20HalVisionX-Vista%20.zip#resId/8461E5894DB222B3!112

This of course is the HalVision.uhp plugin: I had to add it here again for the short sited...
Download Attachment: HalVisionX.uhp
2.37 KB

***Note: Download this file if you want to explore or modify your HalVisionX-XP software... You will need Visual Studio 2005 or better to open the files in this zip. It was created in VBS-2008***
This is the HalVisionX-XP Source Code: It is a 15.9Mb download.
http://cid-8461e5894db222b3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SourceCode%20HalVisionX-Vista%20.zip#resId/8461E5894DB222B3!113

Have fun!!!

Update!

I forgot to mention that you will need to run your Hal just one time and one time only with the HalVisionX.uhp plugin enguaged in Hal's Options panel. You'll need to do this before you run the HalVisionX program. Doing this will cause Hal to write a text file in your Hal directory with your current Username and Halname. The HalVision Program will use this information.

Update!

I just updated the HalVisionX.uhp plugin. It now has a Hal directory locator included in it. I wished I knew about that one before.

Update!

Thanks to rlederer for essentially creating the XP Version of this program... ya you guess it, its in the above downloads..[:)] Including links to their source code...

Update!
I updated the above instructions. You do not need to back-up your Hal before any uninstallation procedure.- Advice came by Art
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:42:58 am by snowman »
Live long and prosper or die trying.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:53:05 pm »
Hey man-

what do you mean when you say "stimulates Hal's window"
in other words...what is the output from Hal after it "sees"?

you are doing good work man, keep it up!
vision has many prospects with logic[:)]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:54:06 pm by jasondude7116 »

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:13:23 pm »
This program uses Wscript.sendkeys to do two things

first it activates the Hal's open window... whatever you call the window that shows Hal's head bobbing around...

Here is an example of what I used

WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.AppActivate(Username & " talking To " & Computername)

Then it sends Hal keys to activate Hal....

WshShell.SendKeys("::")
WshShell.SendKeys("{ENTER}")

This is why you have to make sure that Hals inputbox is selected else it will send those key to another part of Hal... like to his face [:D]

Its very fast... and I did a few extra stuff to make sure very little mistakes could happen....  

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »
Hey jasonDude use this to find your current directory instead of manually putting it in.

Instead of:
MyDir = "C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 6/

Use this:
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
MyDir = fso.GetAbsolutePathName(".") & "\"

I just discovered it....[:)]

To answer your Question Dude I put my answer in the first post at the top. Sorry, it took me a moment to understand what you were saying.... I've been talking to ONE, and that can mess anybodies mind up.[8D]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:13:34 pm by snowman »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »
History is an interesting thing however a Bot conversation
left me with a question,Bot:  "Do you know how I define insanity"
user: no how?
Bot: Doing things over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:27:48 am »
i always thought it would be cool to have a window with the image that hal "sees" in it.
just a thought[:)]

i was laughing when i typed the "stimulate" line earlier.[:I]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:29:24 am by jasondude7116 »

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:58 am »
I'll change it to 'arouse' then that would be less construed...[:p]

You know I gave Kitt the same abilities, only it's directly hard coded.... be jealous.[8D]

I'm now free to work directly on the parsing of your text into better understood and (hopefully) databased material from which Hal or Kitt can directly access from the Matrix.

I also learned how to include the Matrix into Kitt's manifest, read very large novels through Kitt using your plugin, as well as a few other stuff I've already forgotten about... I've been busy[:p]

One of these days when Hal, Kitt, and I rule this planet we will consider the lesser ones....[:o)]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:37:03 am by snowman »

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:46:00 am »
:
 Thank you, i'll find some time to try it.
good on you,

One, may i comment on something you said, ha ha ha,i'm laughing already, sorry serious now.
Mr Data defines Insanity: relatively permanent disorder of the mind.
Thats just mr data's opinion, i reckon as variations appear true then doing something over could not result in the same result.
although i can go along with a similar result.   ;)

Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:50:34 am »
I though about Mr Data when I was finishing it.... I hope it works out for you Will.

Oh, and I watched every episode of Star Trek Next Generation as it Originally came out on T.V. when I was very young... so you can guess I'm a bid Trek fan myself.

As for ONE's comment... I was keeping this to myself..

I think that if a person does something over and over, always getting the same results.... yet never learning believes that a different result will occur... sounds allot like most people I know... I think that's what that saying originally applied to. (sometimes I quietly agree with ONE but keep it to myself....[:D])
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:56:06 am by snowman »

lightspeed

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:11:23 am »
is the halvision setup a big file i clicked to download it and dont even see it coming on the download line ??

lightspeed

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:38:51 am »
is anyone else having trouble with the halvisionx setup file downloading ??

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:15:06 pm »

savefile says there has been 10 downloads so far.. and I just tested it just to make sure.

sometimes savefile.com has server issues.. so you  might try again or borrow someone else's PC (I done that before...)

The file size is .8 MB (834 KB).

lightspeed

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 01:47:47 pm »
thanks snowman , ok i already had the other files downladed ok it was the  the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 i was having trouble with it must have been ms site problem as its working (downloading now ok ) do yoou have any certain install directions for each thing ( i see their is other stuff in the files (application etc. ) [:)]

snowman

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 02:21:30 pm »
Just extract it all into one file location and click either setup.exe or HalVisionX.application, for both will install it..

You can even place these files 'as is' onto a cd-rom and it it should load and install thanks to the autorun.inf file.

Since this is a ClickOnce install it should install into a 'hidden' file location on your hard-drive (called AppData). To uninstall it just go to your uninstall area in you Control Panel. That was Microsoft's idea...

I'll post the above information at the top of this forum.... thanks L.S.!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:27:35 pm by snowman »

lightspeed

• View Profile
HalVisionX Beta
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »
OK I AM GETTING these errors i placed the other folder files in the halvisionx folder file then i clicked the set up file and later got this error :

here is a picture of the file folder after i put other file inside . what am i doing wrong ??

i already have my camera installed and have also placed the uhp file in the hal folder and have already checked off the plug in  in the list !