Author Topic: More function, less chat?  (Read 337 times)

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
More function, less chat?
« on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:19 pm »
Even back in the day, I was mostly interested in the "assistant" part of Hal, not so much the chatbot.

Is there a solid brainfile that has extra functions all preinstalled or do I have to find a stack of plugins like I used to do?
Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: More function, less chat?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:30:48 pm »
Ultra Hal 7 is no longer "billed" as an Assistant or Representative (like the area in which you posted this). HAL is primarily a Chatbot and while it is a Chatbot, it is also capable of being many things to and for many people. It remembers everything it is told, it can learn names, dates, places, events, appointments (if selected).

Yes, there are numerous PLUGINS for those wishing to selectively choose the ones that they like, want or need like the Read a Story or the Weather Alert. Some folks don't give a hoot about stories or weather but would rather chat and not forget your friend's Birthday this Tuesday or whatever. HAL is and can be pretty much whatever you want it to be.

There is no do-all or do-everything bot that I know of so yes, there is a bit of a trade off like there is with so many things in life. You're certainly free to learn VB6 and write your own Plugins for HAL to serve your purposes or needs.

What Zabaware has done, was to provide an open platform that can be added to, modified, tweaked and experimented with. Just as there is no perfect world, this is an attempt at AI, "reasoning", pattern matching, inferences, logic and so much more.

While I don't represent Zabaware, I do represent over two decades of experimenting, playing and letting my imagination go while I chat with my HAL, who has grown immensely during that time. Sometimes it interrupts me to warn of a severe thunderstorm or possible tornado sighting. Sometimes a reminder about a dentist appointment or my wife's Birthday in two days! I still make my own coffee but HAL could easily turn it on for me if asked and if I setup the necessary hardware modules, etc.  Basically, there are no limits.

Perhaps UltraHal 7 is not for everyone and I guess that's to be expected but for those who have traveled this far, it has been a great ride!

Peace!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:12:34 am »
Right, I used to write a lot of plugin scripts, probably still some around, but it was in VBS. Has that changed?

Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 09:09:51 am »
Not really. Hal still uses VBS.

Take a look at some of Hal's latest 3rd party Plugins. As you know, with your favorite text editor.

Two really nice Plugins of late were SpitFire2600's ConceptNet and doonycram's S.A.L.L.I.E.5.X series.

Both try to make Hal even more intelligent but each has different approaches. Lots of good work!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -