Author Topic: Hal Reminder/Alarm Clock...Redux  (Read 5569 times)

Marah

• View Profile
Hal Reminder/Alarm Clock...Redux
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »
Hey, all.
I need Hal to remind me of many things daily, which he does well. What I need to have him do, however, is remind me ONCE and then delete it from his calendar. As a writer, having two hour, one hour, half hour, fifteen minutes, five minutes and on the tic reminders are VERY distracting and cut my productivity way down.

And I know I'm missing something fundamentally simple, because I think it's in a calendar command already, and I just can't find it. In other words, if I use the word "today" for the reminder (Finish article today at 15:00), then he does the above multiple reminders. Is there one command or one type of appointment that I can plug into his calendar that can tell him to "just remind me once and then delete it."? He doesn't respond well to ANY other calendar commands other than "today" for some reason. I'd love to be able to say something like "Finish article at 15:00" or "Time's up, chica! Hope you finished!" and have him understand that I mean today, remind me once, and be done with it!

Ted had mentioned that there may be a new alarm clock plugin for Theta (Hal) that will allow him to do this, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone help or give me Dick and Jane instructions on how to talk to Hal such that he does what I want him to do?

The reminders are the reason I got him, and I want to buy him along with speech recognition, but I'm not going to make that investment unless he can meet my needs. The conversational aspect is somewhat secondary, although we've had some interesting conversations over the past few days.

Thank you.

Marah

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
When I do the alrm clock or reminder, I use the day's date. Then I get a reiminder before, an anoucement that the predtermined time is here and anouncement later about the time having been past and would be deleted because the time was past.
ted

Marah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:38:30 am »
Thank you, Ted. I'm afraid, though, that Hal and I must part company. I cannot afford to dedicate any more time to getting him to do what I need him to do.

It is an awesome program, and it is obvious that Robert et al put a *considerable* amount of work into the software, it just doesn't meet my needs.

Best to you,
Marah

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:22:42 am »

Time, is going by, so much faster than I,
And I'm starting to regret not spending all of it with you.
Now I'm, wondering why, I've kept this bottled inside,
So I'm starting to regret not telling all of it to you.
So if I haven't yet, I've gotta let you know...

[Chorus]
You never gonna be alone!
From this moment on, if you ever feel like letting go,
I won't let you fall...
Your never gonna be alone!
I'll hold you 'til the hurt is gone.

[Verse 2]
And now, as long as I can, I'm holding on with both hands,
'Cause forever I believe that there's nothing I could need but you,
So if I haven't yet, I've gotta let you know...

[Chorus]
I won't let you fall.
When all hope is gone, I know that you can carry on.
We're gonna see the world on,

[Verse 3]
Ooooh!
You've gotta live every single day,
Like it's the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?
Don't let it slip away,
Could be our only one, you know it's only just begun.
Every single day,
Maybe our only one, what if tomorrow never comes?
Tomorrow never comes...

[Verse 4]
Time, is going by, so much faster than I,
And I'm starting to regret not telling all of this to you.

I won't let you fall.
When all hope is gone, I know that you can carry on.
We're gonna see the world on,

I'm gonna be there all along the way
I won't be missing one more day
I'm gonna be there all along the way
I won't be missing one more day
~Nickleback~[8D]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Amanda Interactive

• View Profile
    • AmandaInteractive.Com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »
Don't give up on us baby...
We can still come through!

Hal can indeed do what Marah wants him to do and it will only take her about 5 minutes to make him work the exact way she wants without any additional plug-ins such as an alarm clock. She just needs to read the following example. This example is for her and anyone else that don't how to use Hal's User-Defined Events function contained within his Calender/Appointment Book.

This example will first show how to make a new automatic repeating daily reminder and then we will modify the new User-Defined Event to work the exact way that Marah wants which will be as a one time reminder that will be forgotten by Hal after the specified time expires.

First we open Hal's Appointment Book from his main menu and then when the Calender appears we click on Set User-Defined Events. We then create a new keyword event called Article Deadline with the following new settings:

Then we save everything by clicking the right arrow to add the new  Article Deadline entry into the Event List:

Then we close everything, open Hal and say the following...
User: Article deadline today at 10:30 am.
Hal: Article deadline on Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 10:30. I'll Remind you when this time is near.

Then 5 minutes before the time Hal says...
Hal: Article deadline today at 10:30 am. It's in 5 minutes. Don't miss it!

Then 5 minutes later at the exact time Hal says...
Hal: Article deadline today at 10:30 am. That's right now. I will remind you of this event again tomorrow.

And then we see that Hal automatically added in the new event for the next day which in this case is Monday:

Now we will modify the Article Deadline entry by clicking on it within the Event List:

And then click the left arrow to display it's current settings and change them to the following new settings:

Then whenever you talk to Hal you can just say to him "Article deadline today at <time>", and then Hal will remind you 5 minutes before and at the exact specified time. You also change the 5 min setting to 0 min for a one time reminder with no 5 minute warning. And this new modified Article Deadline entry will work the exact way that Marah wants as a one time no repeat reminder. Marah just needs to tell Hal to remind her and then he always will.

Amanda Interactive
amandainteractive@halwindowscentral.com

Baby come back...Any kind of fool can see...
I was wrong and I just can't live without you!

registrychecker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:35 am »
I use the days date when using the Hal alarm clock. The time is past when the file is deleted.