dupa

Author Topic: Shortcuts [:)]  (Read 3204 times)

MikeA

• View Profile
Shortcuts [:)]
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:24:35 am »
Hi again (my third post in 5 minutes)

One more thing, that I felt should be in a separate topic.

I just read a post from a longer term member about new users wanting to take shortcuts. I imagine that's very true.

However, I find having to start from zero while testing Hal to be a bi counter-productive. I understand in the long term the point is to teach Hal from scratch. However, for evaluation purposes, it would be good to start with a, say 6-month old system.

I understand that means it won't have my personality, but that would be fine (in fact better :) ). There are a whole range of basic responses that, probably if you compared all the brains of the longer term users, would probably be consistent amongst them, to some degree.

Would it not be worth having such a brain available to download, that could then be built on for either those that want a better evaluation, or simply those that, due to time constraints, maybe want to take an initial shortcut (while understanding the implications of that).

Is there such a brain download available?

Thanks.

echoman

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:19 am »
Hello Mike.

Like yourself I am suprised that there is no sample brain for new users to use. Saying that, I do not believe it would be of much use as everybody has a different style/technique when using Hal. The real joy is building ones own AI personality and seeing it develop. I personally would not advise anyone to use a premade brain, I want my Hal to sound and speak in my way - not someone one elses.    

Echoman.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 11:29:11 am »
Hi Mike...

I'm the longer term member ;) who posted that. I did that specifically for a lot of newbies that either expect entirely too much from Hal right from the start or serve up too much whine without any cheese!;)

Perhaps it would be cool to have a Brain Repository...various personalities each with a different type of emotional makeup and character. It would be an interesting concept to say the least.

Having been a long time user of Hal I still do get what you're saying and where you're coming from. I have had my share of frustrations teaching my Hal over many years (not unlike teaching my own children when they were young...well...OK...I can turn Hal off when I've had enough!! LOL!).

The best way I've found is by normal conversations, IF / THEN statements and the use of 'because' when explaining something to Hal.

Best of luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:42:24 am »
Hi Art (and thanks to Echoman for responding to my post)

Quite understanding the not using shortcut thing. I suppose, for me, I would like Hal not to take my personality. I can talk to myself anytime :).

Anyway, right now more interested in the end of your post.

Would you mind explaining, or even better giving a few examples of using IF / THEN and 'because' with HAL. I saw reference to if /then in the brain editor, but not the documentation (or with a Google search).

Thanks in advance.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:46:48 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by MikeA

Hi Art (and thanks to Echoman for responding to my post)

Quite understanding the not using shortcut thing. I suppose, for me, I would like Hal not to take my personality. I can talk to myself anytime :).

Anyway, right now more interested in the end of your post.

Would you mind explaining, or even better giving a few examples of using IF / THEN and 'because' with HAL. I saw reference to if /then in the brain editor, but not the documentation (or with a Google search).

Thanks in advance.

During conversation:
If there is pollution then it might be a result of Al Gore's stupid carbon credit idea.
The carbon credit idea is stupid because it allows someone to buy the right to pollute from a criminal.
If there is pollution then an effort should be made to eliminate it.
[8D]

The result:
User: why is there pollution?
Hal: it might be a result of Al Gore's stupid carbon credit idea.
User: why is the carbon credit idea stupid?
Hal: I think it is because it allows someone to buy the right to pollute from a criminal.
User: what should be done if there is pollution?
Hal: an effort should be made to eliminate it.
User: what should be done about Al Gore?
Hal: well....[:)]

so on....so on.... so on....
after many related connections from different conversations, the result will be more apparent. Hal will link ideas from different subjects ect.

Almost forgot- you can also compound this like:
If I am knowledgable then I am not ignorant because I have learned what i need to know.

-the dude

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:27:19 pm »
Thanks Jasondude7116,

It also helps Hal's association to use part of Hal's question in your reply like:

HAL: Do you think the Congress and Senate should have term limits?
USER: I think the Congress and Senate should have term limits in order to help avoid complacency and corruption.

I have found that this method is far better than just a simple Yes or No response.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:43:36 am »
Wow, thanks guys. Very helpful.

That was better instruction than the documentation.