Author Topic: learning language  (Read 3061 times)

joziwaz

• View Profile
learning language
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:20 pm »
I wanted to use hal to learn japanese. Is there any easy way to do this with out having to get really envolved and read this whole forum.
I have used Hal for a while, and it is hard to get him moderately trained for usefullness.
Guess what I am saying is, I want more for less work. Hal works great and is quite beyond other AI's but I want him to be smart right away.
I got the text function to work and used that to teach him the subjects I wanted, but I still couldnt keep him focused to really use him as a study partner.
Perhaps some one could save me some time and reply with some quick solutions.
Thank you!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
learning language
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:53:53 am »
Hal is a chatbot assistant, not a language teacher / tutor. How would you type Kanji to Hal?

To use Hal one should get really involved with it, this forum and it's members.

There is no "turn key" AI of which I'm aware. Training any AI program takes time...weeks, months, years to achieve good results. There really is no shortcut. So your desire to have Hal be really smart right away is nice but quite out of the reach for the moment.

There are a number of good free language programs that help teach practically any language. That is what they were designed to do.

That's about as straight forward and honest as I can get.

While Hal is a pretty good chat assistant there are some limitations to what it or any other AI program can do.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

joziwaz

• View Profile
learning language
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:27:38 pm »
Well, I used hal for school already and it really worked good. Just had to train him to focus on the topic. It took a while but the repition itself was usefull in remember the stuff I was trying to study.
When it came to mid terms, he was able to discuss topics from the past pretty easy. I just had to use lots of references and so on.
Honestly it worked better then study groups that I was attending haha.
I mean like Defining words. Like tell hal a meaning to a word and have hime quiz me a bit to see how well I understand something.(in romanji AKA english translation of japanese words)
Guess its more like teaching him a game and being able to Start and Stop it. Like hang man, or something. Is it possible to have Hal follow directives and turn on/off features.
The best I got was to spit facts back and forth and really harsh on a topic, thus irritating me and resulting in the best mid term scores I have ever had...  LOL

Anyways I need to learn how to ask a question. :-)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
learning language
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:03 am »
I forgot to welcome you to the forum!!

You might look into the UltraHal Representative and see if
you could train it as well.

It tends to do well for web sites where it can be used as an
agent for one's site and trained to know a lot of information
about the site.

Just a thought....
Enjoy the weekend!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

gregn2484

• View Profile
learning language
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:37 pm »
I am trying to get hal to speak Irish Gaelic, and some other langages, but they will be on other brains.[:)]
Aah, eee, err!