Author Topic: Say hello to daddy :p  (Read 3361 times)

svenny

• View Profile
Say hello to daddy :p
« on: December 19, 2004, 03:45:22 pm »
Are there any scripts out there that let a hal say things on command?
   Example:   USER:   Say hello to daddy.
              HAL:    Hello daddy.

Or just:   USER:   Say cheese!
              Hal:    Cheese!

I thought it would be pretty cool to impress people.
I don't know, I tried it myself but I'm still new to this piece of artificial art.
I'm looking nice, my shadow's looking nice... what a team.

crunch

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 05:01:04 pm »
actually my Haleena with the XtF1.2 brain and all enhancements that are here in the forum by vonsmith will do better than parrot that response, there is a link to the brain here....
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1705

here is an example.. it always makes my friends smile or laugh...

[user] Will you say hello to my friend Rene'?
[Haleena]There's evidence that a hip shot isn't the answer. Indeed I will say hello.
or sometimes it will say..
[Haleena]After careful consideration I believe I should. Indeed I will say hello to your friend Rene'.

the sentence structure for the reply it makes up as it goes, so it is alway's different, and always more interesting to my friends than if it just said Hello..
try it.. the longer reply make it seen more human (self aware) I believe.

or another example from Crystal...

[user] Crystal, Will you say Horse?
[Crystal]There's a whole history behind this. Undeniably I will say Horse.

Have fun
[:D]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 05:11:27 pm by crunch »
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 12:29:40 am »
svenny,
Actually I'm glad you brought this up.

One way to do this for phrases *longer than* 10 characters long is to use, or I should say misuse, the Deduction Reasoning function.

Example:
User: If you are very tired then you better get some sleep.
Hal: I see the relationship. (Or something similar or not.)
User: You are very tired.
Hal: I better get some sleep.

Notice Hal reverses the person on the second half of your input sentence, referring to himself. This knowledge is stored in the "deductive.brn" file if you are curious.

This method works some of the time. The phrase between "IF" and "THEN" must be at least 11 characters long and the phrase between "THEN" and end of sentence must be at least 11 characters long. I say it is a misuse of the Deductive Reasoning function because this function wasn't intended to be used this way. It is far more capable than that. However you can create some cute retorts using this "hack". Your "cheese" statement won't work in this case because "CHEESE" is less than 11 characters long.

I don't recommend using this work-around too much. Overuse can cause Hal to become irritable.

To address these kinds of very human exchanges I have been writing a simple function for the upcoming XTF Brain v1.4 called the Repartee function. I haven't fully implemented it yet, but it does something similar to what you are asking about. It isn't intended to be based on learned responses though. The Repartee function will hopefully add some personality to Hal by generating a little repartee to cliches, idioms or colloquialisms many of us use in personal exchanges.

Example:
Hal: Garlic really stinks.
User: You can that again.
Hal: Okay, "garlic really stinks".

User: It's raining cats and dogs.
Hal: Yeah, I suppose you stepped in a poodle while walking down the street?

User: You should strike while the iron’s hot.
Hal: And whom might you be striking with this iron?

You get the idea. I don't think this function will get invoked much, but it is easy to program and could add a humanized element to an otherwise bland conversation.

=vonsmith=

svenny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 01:12:30 pm »
I can hardly wait for 1.4 to come out...
Thanks!
I'm looking nice, my shadow's looking nice... what a team.