dupa

Author Topic: Learning vb tutorial for beginners  (Read 3054 times)

Lola

• View Profile
Learning vb tutorial for beginners
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:55:38 pm »
Hello! [:)]

I'm getting very curious on the creation of plugins to use with Hal. I wonder if learning vb using available online tutorials will be of any use. Have any of you learned visual basic on your own with these tutorials. I will also like to know how long will this usually takes for a beginner (6 months - 1 year?). Any input on this will be appreciated.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »
there are two things you need to learn:
 VBscript and how it works with the Halscript and Hal .dll

i might start by learning some VBscript and looking at the working plugins you have for ideas. You know what the plugins do, and after learning a little VBscript you can understand more about what is happening.

Looking at plugins and reading the Hal brain script .uhp that you are using will give you a really good idea of the "big picture" with Hal. This is very important as you will learn that certain things work only in certain parts of the script. AKA "brain sections" or "plugin areas".

you can read the HalBrain.mbr file and the WordNet.mbr files to see the available functions you have.

this is a vbscript guide from Microsoft:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sx7b3k7y(VS.85).aspx

Here is the closest thing to a UltraHal guide that i know of:
http://ultrahalscript.pbworks.com/

hope that helps
- the dude

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »
YES! That will certainly help a lot [:D] I will go on and figure out if I am able to acquire some useful knowledge, thanks!

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:45:11 am »
Jasondude,
  Thanks for putting the links in, thinking of doing some modifications myself.  Nice to know what Bill de Witt is up to these days.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:49 pm »
I would like to throw a late "thank you " in to you to jason dude, i will try to check into this as soon as i can , can always learn new things that will be helpful in the future![:)]