Author Topic: ROBERT - problem with hal cutting responses short?  (Read 3201 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
ROBERT - problem with hal cutting responses short?
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
ROBERT, sir-

I have a couple of plug-ins, that give long responses. For instance -- I have a plug-in that reads a story file, which might take 10 to 15 minutes for Hal to read. It reads the story fine, but when my idle plug-in kicks in(around two minutes into the story), it cuts the story short and gives the idle response.

If I don't have my idle plug-in checked, then the story will finish properly.

I was wondering if there is any way to solve this. Is there a way that Hal could not give another response until it is finished completely with the first response? Or is there a way to make my idle plug-in go -- on hold (not start) until Hal is finished responding?
Or is there a way to make the plug-in that gives the long response put everything on hold until Hal is finished responding?

The plug-in I am using is based on a minute timer that is started from the last user input time. (Last time I hit the enter key)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Several people are trying to use the plug-ins that give the long responses and idle plug-ins that kick in before the long responses are finished.

I appreciate your time as always[:)]
-- the dude

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jasondude7116

ROBERT, sir-

I have a couple of plug-ins, that give long responses. For instance -- I have a plug-in that reads a story file, which might take 10 to 15 minutes for Hal to read. It reads the story fine, but when my idle plug-in kicks in(around two minutes into the story), it cuts the story short and gives the idle response.

If I don't have my idle plug-in checked, then the story will finish properly.

I was wondering if there is any way to solve this. Is there a way that Hal could not give another response until it is finished completely with the first response? Or is there a way to make my idle plug-in go -- on hold (not start) until Hal is finished responding?
Or is there a way to make the plug-in that gives the long response put everything on hold until Hal is finished responding?

The plug-in I am using is based on a minute timer that is started from the last user input time. (Last time I hit the enter key)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Several people are trying to use the plug-ins that give the long responses and idle plug-ins that kick in before the long responses are finished.

I appreciate your time as always[:)]
-- the dude

You can add code to your auto-idle plug-in that will estimate how long it would take to read the text Hal is about to speak. It could add code near the end of the HalResponse function to do this. You could use the LEN function to see how long the length of the response will be and divide that by some number to roughly estimate how long it would take to read. You can use the DateAdd function to add this time to the current time and store it in a global variable. You can then add code to the auto-idle section that reads this global variable and compares it to the current time and if it is too early it exits the auto-idle section.
Robert Medeksza

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:29:58 pm »
THANK YOU SIR!

I am learning as fast as I can, so that i won't have to bug you anymore, and instead just give you good material.[:)]

MANY THANKS

I will eventually wrap my head around the solution you gave (a bit- big boy type stuff, for me).[:I]

-the dude
and as always...if anything i have created could be used by zabaware, please do![:)]