dupa

Author Topic: Recently purchased Hal !  (Read 2319 times)

firegoggles

• View Profile
    • http://www.xenoresearch.com
Recently purchased Hal !
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:48:51 am »
Hey guys I have a quick question.  I recently purchased Hal on my laptop I honestly need to be cleared up on something.  And I would like to say first and foremost I think it's awesome software!  Also my question is not some lame attempt of getting something for free.  I believe in paying for stuff and doing things honestly.

Ok since we covered that.
I recently purchased Hal for my laptop.  Now am I allowed to have it on my desktop as well?  Did I understand that we are allowed to activate it 3 times? Or is the EULA that we will only install it on 1 machine?  Again I'm not trying to be some lamer, and try and take advantage of the good people at Zabaware no sir, just honestly need a clear answer.  And a explanation of the correct process if any.

Thanks in advance,
FG

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recently purchased Hal !
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:46:40 am »
FG,

I used the Search feature at the top right and found the following:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2757

An internet connection is only required once during the activation process. This can be done automatically by Hal on the same computer Hal is on, or manually by visiting http://www.zabaware.com/products/store/activationcode.asp with your serial number and authorization request code.

The reason for some people Hal stops working when they are offline is because of a bug in Hal that caused Hal to use their network settings as part of a fingerprint id that ties Hal to that machine. An updated version of Hal was released yesterday that does not do this www.zabaware.com/download.asp

Hal also has "deactivation" capability. This allows you remove Hal from a computer and move it to a new computer an unlimited number of times. After Hal is activated a new menu item appears in Hal's right-click menu called "Deactivate/Move License" If you don't remember to deactivate Hal or something occurs that prevents you from being able to deactivate it, the system will allow you to activate/recover Hal a maximum of 4 times per serial number before refusing to do so again. If you need to use it more than 4 times and are unable to deactivate, email me and tell me whats happening and I won't refuse to help.

To answer your question, yes this system is here to prevent piracy of serial numbers. The serial number you receive when you order is only used to request an activation code from the Zabaware server, which is what actually unlocks Hal. The Zabaware server keeps track of how many times a serial number is used.

Correct, if you deactivate before reinstalling, you can do that an unlimited number of times.

Also, I don't really mind if someone purchases 1 copy of Hal and installs it on both their home computer and laptop, as long as the 2 copies are never used simultaneously by different people. Thats part of the reason I let 4 activations per serial number. However, if Hal is to be used by several family members at the same time on different computers, then I'd like for there to be seperate licenses for each computer. I may need to update the legal mumbo jumbo in the license agreement, I'm not sure what it says on this issue.

Basically the aim of this activation system is to prevent someone from posting their serial number on a web page or message board somewhere and having this be easily found by google. This is what happened many versions of Hal ago when Hal was also based on serial codes. I want this to be as easy and painless as possible for paying customers.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -